Spring has officially arrived, and with it – college graduation season. If it hasn’t already begun, you can expect an influx of resumes from recent graduates eager to enter the workforce.
Many companies are hesitant to consider young professionals with little real-world experience, but you may want to reconsider. There are risks inherent in hiring new graduates, but they can also bring many benefits to your team.
5 Pros and Cons of Hiring New Graduates
- Pro — They’re Ambitious: New grads fresh out of college are eager to make their mark! They are excited to learn new things and often don't object to putting in extra hours when necessary, if it helps them to make a good impression and advance their career.
- Con — Some are a Bit Rough Around the Edges: Working in an office can be a bit of an adjustment period for those who have never previously done so. Prepare to spend a little extra time helping a new grad manage their workload, dress professionally and communicate appropriately.
- Pro — Affordability: Hiring a candidate with little professional experience can reduce your costs. A more seasoned professional would surely require a higher starting salary. The time you must dedicate to training will likely be offset by these lower compensation costs
- Con — Lack of Experience: It can be challenging to take on a team member without any industry experience, as you have to initially invest a great deal of time training them. More experienced workers may be able to hit the ground running, while new grads will require significant guidance initially.
- Pro — Potential to Develop a Long-Term Employee: It can be difficult for new grads to find a job, as they’re often competing for the same positions as more experienced candidates. Not only are these young professionals grateful for a chance to prove themselves professionally, you can start them in a position where they can grow their skills, learn everything about your business and eventually advance within the company.
Need a dynamic new member to add to your team? Partner with Sparks Group. We know every company is unique, so we take the time to truly get to know each of our clients. Our consultative approach allows us to customize programs to meet your specific needs.